Borrowing Photographs About me elsewhere Lovelies Goldberry Artisans

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Shame


Why do we feel ashamed when we don't know about some book/movie/pop culture trivia/whatever? So what if I haven't read Harry Potter or listened to Mumford & Sons or know who Taylor Swift is currently dating or not dating? So what if I am not in love with that one band you love?

Why do I act make other people feel silly or ashamed for not having seen my favorite movie?

What is so wrong with not constantly keeping up with the latest and greatest everything? Where in the Bible does God tell us to keep up with what everyone else is doing?

It's a vicious cycle. Someone makes me feel less-than because I don't know about a certain movie, then because of how I feel I try to make myself feel better by ridiculing someone else. This needs to end.

I have no inspiring words to end this rambling with. I just want to say that I want to stop feeling ashamed and making others feel that way. We all have our own tastes, so naturally we haven't all seen, heard, or read the same things. And that's okay.

2 comments:

  1. That was inspiring. I think human beings naturally want to be part of something, accepted into some kind of a group to validate their relationships with other human beings. It is a tendency that often leads to exclusive groups and hurt. I agree whole heartedly with this post. I'll think twice next time I feel the need to explode because someone has never watched "The Sound of Music" or read "To Kill a Mockingbird." : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you said about humans wanting to be accepted and to validate their relationships. It's so true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and brightening my day with a little bit of sunshine!