Borrowing Photographs About me elsewhere Lovelies Goldberry Artisans

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

my spot





i ride my vintage bicycle down a forest path, venturing out into the wilderness to find the perfect spot to read and write on this warm spring day.
wildflowers tickle my bare ankles as i roll through an open field.
i am free to go as i wish when i wish without any commitments or time constraints preventing me from going where the wind blows me.
i find my spot: a shady patch of velvety moss and lush grass beneath a tree whose canopy of leaves shields the sun.
a gentle breeze stirs my wild hair as i dance around under a bright yellow sun, my shoes cast off next to my bicycle.
i retrieve my journal and book from my knapsack and settle in for a few hours of dreaming.
as the sun begins its nightly descent, i rummage around in my bag for my hand-knit cardigan complete with intricate cables.
i begin my trek home, eager to visit my spot again tomorrow.

my spot in my mind, that is.
in reality, i rode my modern bike to my church next door across a clear-cut path.
i do have a bag containing a journal and book, but my world is too full of standardized tests, studying, and commitments to spend much time with my dear journal.
because i do not live where i can just ride my bike out into the wilderness, i must content my restless brain with biking to a place in view of my house.
there is, though, a breeze and wildflowers and canopies of leaves that i can enjoy.

even though i want my imaginary spot to become real, i will be content for now. SATs are finally over, even though i must now turn all of my attention to the ap lang test.
but spring is here. this afternoon, anyway, is free.
for now, i will write.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Emily. I love how it captures the longing for what we do not have, but also the contentment with what we do have. Truly beautiful, dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and brightening my day with a little bit of sunshine!